Kooshk residency is a non-profit space for arts and culture in Tehran. Kooshk, with sponsorship of private section tries to provide a convenient space for artists, curators, researchers, writers and filmmakers to encourage inter-cultural dialogues and art creation.
The Kooshk Artist Residency Award has been implemented to support artists, creativity and the development of new ideas in the unique space of Tehran. This Residency program is a chance for attendants to do research and experiment, develop professionally, maintain direct dialogues and the exchange of ideas in order to grow and nurture their creativity, and try new methods of working and thinking. This Residency is an annual event lasting one month and will be offered to four non-Iranian selected artists.
During the residency, Kooshk will provide a dynamic and distinctive situation for international artists to work and exchange ideas with local artists, critics and researchers. The program emphasizes a balance between working in a personal space and working in collaboration with other artists and interacting with viewers and the environment. In line with its goals, Kooshk will make any effort to have a contribution in the growth of cultural and social views, by gathering local, national and international artists with a diverse spectrum of artistic disciplines in the cultural and artistic space of Tehran and by creating the possibility for exchanging ideas.
Who Can Apply All the international artists active in fields of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sound and Music, Film and Video are welcome to apply. Currently enrolled university or college students (at the time of application) will not be considered for selection.
Fees & Stipend: Applicants need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $20USD. Awarded artists receive a $450 monthly stipend. The costs of accommodation (shared room for two artist), studio and return ticket will also be covered by Kooshk.
• Applications will be received through slideroom, an online application procedure.
• Applications will be processed in compliance with declared criteria in two rounds and different panels of jury of the award.
Round one • Aysha Waja – Curator at Bag Factory
• Gemma Sharpe – PhD Candidate Art History, New York
• Giulio Verago – Cultural Operator and Project Manager of VIR Viafarini
• Jennifer Lindsay – Residency Director at Red Gate Residency
• Tayeba Lipi – Visual Artist and Founder of Britto Arts Trust
Round Two • Danda Jaroljmek – Director of Circle Art Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya and Administrator for The African Arts • Ehsan Rasoulof – Director and Founder of Kooshk Residency
• Heejung Park – Manager of Residency in National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
• Iftikhar Dadi – Associate Professor in Department of History of Art, Cornell University
• Jean-Baptiste Joly – Director of Akademie Schloss Solitude – Stuttgart, Germany
Registration Conditions All applicants must fill in the application form providing the following:
• Personal Information
• Reference (No letter will be needed)
• Artist Statement
• Motivation Letter
• Work Samples
• Competency of the application, including the quality of resume and sample works
• Innovative-ness of the proposal, outputs and concrete outcomes
• Compatibility of the proposal/plan with the award’s goals and the extent of the award’s significance in realizing the proposal
• English language skills
Applying early is smart. As there will be numerous applicants submitting at the last days/moments of deadline, we will not grant you any deadline extension or help to submit if something goes wrong.