For more informations
MMCA Residency International Research Fellowship Program 2017
MMCA Residency, run by the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea (MMCA), launches an International Research Fellowship Program for curators, critics, and researchers. This research program aims to provide a sustainable platform to developing global networks and facilitate collaborative programming among art professionals.
■ Application Period: Monday, 5 September ~ Friday, 30 September, 2016
(Online application is available from Monday, 12 September)
* Application Deadline: 18:00 in Korean time, Friday, 30 September, 2016
■ Residency Period: please choose one term only
– 1st term: 3 March – 18 May, 2017 (1 researcher)
– 2nd term: 13 April – 22 June, 2017 (1 researcher)
– 3rd term: 4 July – 13 September, 2017 (1 researcher)
– 4th term: 20 September – 7 December, 2017 (1 researcher)
■ Number of Researchers: 1 researcher for each period/ 4 researchers in total
* If the jury does not find suitable candidates, MMCA Residency may not fulfill the total number of researchers.
■ Venue: MMCA Residency Changdong (257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea)
■ Nationality: All regions of the world (except Korea)
■ Research Interest
– Asian art in the 2nd half of the 20th Century
– Contemporary Asian artists
– Curators, critics, or researchers who work in the related fields of Asian modern and contemporary art
– Who have 5 years or more of experience in his/her own area
– Who have not previously participated in a residency program of MMCA Residency (Changdong/ Goyang)
– Who are fluent in English
* Work partners, assistants, and family members are not allowed to stay at the residency together.
– Private studio with accommodation included (free of charge)
– Monthly Grant: KRW 1,000,000(approx. USD 890) per month for living costs
(total KRW 3,000,000 for the full residency period)
* The grant will be transferred directly to the participant’s Korean bank account every month and the total amount is subject to change based on one’s residency period.
– Meeting artists and art professionals in Korea
– Access to the residency’s facilities and resources
– Round-trip airfare, meals, transportation, etc.
– Work materials
– Travel and Medical insurance
* Selected researchers should submit a copy of insurance certificate to MMCA Residency Changdong. Researchers can be rejected without insurance.
– Presentation or workshop to share the results of research
– Final research paper before the presentation at the end of the fellowship
– Participation in the programs, activities, events organized by MMCA Residency
■ Facilities: Private Studio (46~60㎡) with Accommodation (furnished with a single bed, table, wardrobe, and other basic furnitures), Gallery Ⅰ(132㎡), Gallery Ⅱ(105㎡), Shared Toilet & Shower Room, Kitchen, Community Room, Outdoor Working Zone (191㎡) * Wireless Internet is available.
■ How to Apply: postal mail or online
Postal Mail: Send a CD or DVD containing digital files of all materials via mail to the address below by traceable mailing method
* It must arrive at MMCA Residency Changdong no later than Friday, 30 September, 2016.
– Please include all materials in one CD or DVD
– Send to:
MMCA Residency Changdong
257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea (postal code: 01469)
* Submitted applications will not be returned
Online: mmca.go.kr (English Page) – Log-in – Residency – Application – Apply
– Online application system will be closed at 18:00 in Korean time, on Friday, 30 September, 2016. We request applicants to apply in advance to avoid any possible errors or problems caused by the overflowing applicant crowd near the deadline. Failure to meet the deadline is unacceptable under any circumstances.
■ Materials to Submit
Application Form (only for postal mail) attached on the page 3.
CV or Résumé
Portfolio: Thesis, research papers, exhibition experiences, etc.
– Up to 10 works in the form of digital files (image in .jpg, .pdf format/ document in .pdf format).
Cover Letter (800 words max.) and Research Proposal (1,000 words max.) including the anticipated outcome during the residency period
Two Letters of Recommendation
– PDF format
– Contact information of the recommender (email, phone) should be included
– The letter must be signed by the recommender
* Please do not include your personal information (e-mail/website address, phone number, date of birth, etc.) and any hyperlinks in the attached files.
■ Selection and Notification Process
Review of all applications
Notification of the shortlist at the beginning of November, 2016
Interview (online, English) of selected applicants on the shortlist at the end of November, 2016
Notification of the final selection at the beginning of December, 2016
* Final result will be posted on the MMCA website.
Please visit our website at www.mmca.go.kr (“Residency” menu) or email us at email@example.com no later than 30 September, 2016.