10th March 2018.
For more information:
Class Founded: 2013
Festival category: B (international relevance, international player)
Dates Open call: Jan 10, 2018
Regular deadline: Jan 10, 2018
Late deadline: Mar 10, 2018
Notification date: Apr 30, 2018
Favorite this festival or add it to one of your lists to be alerted about open call, deadlines and notification date.
Awards Total prize money: 0.00 USD
Other prizes: Distribution of the awarded films in post festival Portuguese and international circuit
General rules AFFL 2108 THEME
LEARNING FROM FICTION
The telling of stories is an ancient and fundamental cultural technique, and also has a function within the city – preventing humans from seeing what really is to be seen. The 6th edition of Arquitecturas will explore how the narrative form in fiction cinema has been depicting architecture since the beginning of film. And what have we been learning from the futuristic, utopian or hyperrealist fictional stories that have been shaping our visual culture through cinema?
1. Arquitecturas’18 – 6th International Film Festival – will take place from 6-10th June
2. Arquiteturas is the only international film festival in Portugal to screen documentary, experimental, animation and fiction films where architecture plays the main role. We are particularly interested in the growing global interest in interdisciplinary approaches to contemporary architecture. We are looking for proposals that use the power of moving images as a tool for broadening public understanding and appreciation of architecture, as well as the permanent dialogue between city, space and narrative.
3. The Selection Committee is looking for films with cinematographic qualities bringing forth, as a whole, the point of view of their authors – fiction, animation, documentary and experimental.
4. The deadline for entries is 10th March 2018.
5. Only entries that include the sending of the film and a duly filled application form will be accepted.
6. HOW TO ENTER A FILM:
Arquiteturas shall receive up to the 10th March:
• A filled online application form
• A version of the film with English subtitles, exception to be made to English spoken films.
• Films shall be sent through Film Festival Life and the download permission must be activated.
As an alternative, after submitting the film at Film Festival Life a Vimeo link can be sent to:
7. The version of the films to be used for the selection process will not be deleted. They will become part of the archive at DYMA – Do You Mean Architecture, where the associates may consult them. For any kind of public projection, permission from the rights owners will be required.
8. The selection committee will decide the section in which the film will be programmed. The festival is responsible for the selection of the films that compose the entire program.
9. Short and feature-length films can compete, with the following projection formats: HD file 1920×1080 H264 ACC, BR or DCP. At the festival, all the selected films will be screened with English subtitles. Portuguese spoken films will also be screened with English subtitles. Translation by voice over is not acceptable.
10. Arquiteturas has four competitive sections:
a) Documentary Competition:
• Feature films – films over 50 minutes
• Short films – films up to 49 minutes
b) Fiction Competition:
• Feature-length films – films over 50 minutes
• Short films – films up to 49 minutes
c) New Talent Competition – open to first films signed by a director. This section comprises International Competition.
d) Experimental Competition – opens to experimental films that investigate new approaches to moving images and the development of the language of Cinema.
11. Only films concluded after the 1st January 2017 are eligible for the competitive categories.
12. Films concluded before 1st of January 2017 can be eligible to be screened outside the competitive sections.
13. In case the film is selected, Arquitecturas will inform the participant up to two months prior to the opening of the festival. After the participant has been informed about the participation of the film in the festival, the film must not be shown in Portugal until it is screened at Arquiteturas. The festival will also inform the entries that were not selected for up to two months prior to the initial date of the festival.
14. Participants declare that the film submitted is their own and that its public screening rights have not been transferred to third parties.
15. Immediately after being confirmed the selection, you should send by email:
• A script of the dialogues continuity of the films in English
• Two photos stills from the film (minimum resolution: 300 dpi – 10x10cm) in a digital format
• Link to the film trailer (Vimeo or Youtube is preferred)
• Biofilmography of the director
• Final Synopsis for the online program and catalog (max.450 characters) in English. For Portuguese submitted films the synopsis must be sent in English and Portuguese.
• Previous Festivals and Awards.
16. Until 15th of May, the copy of the selected film (in the right screening format), as well as posters, postcards, and promotional materials, should be sent to:
Arquitecturas Film Festival
Fórum Lisboa 14-L
1000-265 Lisbon, Portugal
17. In the case of films from non-EU countries sent by a courier (Fedex, DHL, UPS) the film must be accompanied by a pro-forma invoice with the sender’s name, the film title, weight, measurements and/or a number of reels. If sent by normal postal service the envelope or box must state – Produto cultural. Sem valor commercial. (Cultural Product. Without Commercial Value).
18. All the texts, data and photos sent by participants to AFFL will be used for reference in various online and offline bilingual publications (including Festival catalog, Website, video library screens). This material may be translated, corrected or edited prior to publication. By submitting a film, all participants give Arquitecturas free permission to publish this material for the above purposes.
19. The costs related to sending the copy to Portugal will be borne by the participant. The costs of clearing the film through customs in Portugal, as well as the costs associated with returning the films to their country of origin, will be borne by the festival. In the latter situation, any customs duties in the country of origin will be borne by the participants.
20. After receiving the copies of the films, the festival is responsible for them until they are sent back.
21. All films screened during the festival must remain there until its ending and will be returned only after the closing ceremony of the festival.
22. The competition juries will comprise nationally and internationally renowned Portuguese and foreign personalities from the cultural world.
23. Arquitecturas awards consist of a trophy and distribution of the film nationally and internationally within our itinerant circuit. All the awards are attributed to the directors.
• Award for the best documentary film
• Award for best fiction film
• Award for the best first film.
• Award for the best experimental film.
• Award for the best film according to the audience.
25. The decisions of the juries are final.
26. After the film has been selected, the festival may use a fragment of three minutes length of the film for the promotion of the festival on TV, radio, internet, as well as the publicity material of the film (press kit, posters, postcards, etc.) for promotion purposes also.
27. Arquitecturas guests are not covered by the insurance of the festival.
28. The producer of a film that is awarded a prize at Arquitecturas will undertake to mention the Arquitecturas prize in all promotional materials for the film and in the film credits of all copies that are produced after the festival dates.
29. All entries of films made to Arquitecturas presuppose knowledge of and acceptance of these regulations. Participation in the Festival implies acceptance without reservation of all the terms outlined in the present regulations and the reception of a filled and signed submission form. AFFL reserves the right to cancel any submission or take any suitable measure in the event of a breach of regulations.
30. All awarded films will take part in the Portuguese and international festival itinerant circuit that can start up to one month after the festival dates until 3 months before the subsequent edition in 2019.
31. The festival board will decide upon all matters that are not covered by these regulations in accordance with the international rules of film festivals.
For any question please contact:
Director and founder